Data was collected from Cortellis Clinical Trial Intelligence, Clarivate Analytics using the following criteria: trial start date (1st January 2012 – 31st December 2017), country (USA, UK, Germany, Japan, Australia, Canada, France, Spain, Italy, Poland, Switzerland, Brazil,); trial start date (1st January 2016 – 31st December 2017), country (China, South Africa, Switzerland and Brazil) and phase of study (Phase I, II or III) and disease area.
Only commercial trials related to pharmaceutical drug development and molecular/biological entities were included. Collaborative trials were only included if one or more partners were a commercial organisation.
2.Office for National Statistics. Business enterprise research and development, UK: 2017 (Internet). 2018.
3. OECD. Gross domestic spending on R&D (Internet). 2019.
4.Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency. Clinical trials for medicines: authorisation assessment performance (up to 2018) (Internet). GOV.UK. 2019. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/clinical-trials-for-medicines-authorisation-assessment-performance
5. Department of Health, Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry, National Institute for Health Research, NHS Health Research Authority. Clinical Trials - A Report From The Ministerial Industry Strategy Group Clinical Research Working Group (Internet). 2018.
6. EvaluatePharma. World Preview 2019, Outlook to 2024. 12th edition (Internet). 2019.
7. National Institute for Health Research. Annual Statistics (Internet). 2019.
8. HM Government. Life Sciences Competitiveness Indicators 2019 (Internet). GOV.UK. 2019.
9. Veugelers R. The challenge of China’s rise as a science and technology powerhouse | Bruegel (Internet). 2017.
10. Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry. Time to flourish – Inside innovation: the medicine development process (Internet). 2012.
11. European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations. The Pharmaceutical Industry in Figures - Key Data 2019 [Internet]. 2019.
12. World Economic Forum. The Global Competitiveness Report 2017-2018 (Internet). World Economic Forum. 2017.
13. Eurostat. Gross domestic expenditure on R&D (GERD) - % of GDP (Internet). 2018.
14. HM Government. Industrial Strategy: Life Sciences Sector Deal 2 (Internet). 2018.
15. NHS. The NHS Long Term Plan (Internet). NHS Long Term Plan.
16. Lu L, Zhang Y, Guyatt G, Tang C, Xu N. How to fulfil China’s potential for carrying out clinical trials [Internet]. The BMJ Opinion. 2018.
17. Pharma Intelligence. Pharma R&D Annual Review 2018 (Internet). 2018.
18. Pharma Intelligence. Pharma R&D Annual Review 2019 (Internet). 2019.
19. IQVIA. Global Oncology Trends 2018 (Internet). 2018.
20. HM Government. Dementia: applying All Our Health (Internet). GOV.UK. 2018.
21. Join Dementia Research. Number of Alzheimer’s clinical trials almost doubles in 3 years (Internet). Join Dementia Research News. 2016.
22. Medicines Discovery Catapult, BioIndustry Association. State of the Discovery Nation 2019 (Internet). 2019.
23. AMR Industry Alliance. Tracking Progress to Address AMR (Internet). 2018.
24. Access to Medicine Foundation. Antimicrobial Resistance Benchmark 2018 (Internet). 2018.
25. HM Government. Development of new antibiotics encouraged with new pharmaceutical payment system (Internet). GOV.UK. 2019.
28. Downing A, Morris EJ, Corrigan N, Sebag-Montefiore D, Finan PJ, Thomas JD, et al. High hospital research participation and improved colorectal cancer survival outcomes: a population-based study. Gut. 2017;66(1):89–96.
29. Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry. Gross Value Added per Worker - European Comparison (Internet). 2017.
30. NHS Health Research Authority. The combined ways of working pilot [Internet]. NHS Health Research Authority. 2019.
31. National Institute for Health Research. Industry Routemap (Internet). 2019.
32. National Institute for Health Research. National Directive on Commercial Contract Research Studies (Internet). 2019.
34. The Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry. Bridging the skills gap in the biopharmaceutical industry: Maintaining the UK’s leading position in life sciences (Internet). 2019.
35. Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry. ABPI a lead partner in new Clinical Pharmacology Skills Alliance (Internet). 2017.
36. Deane B, Porkess S. Clinical trial transparency update: an assessment of the disclosure of results of company-sponsored trials associated with new medicines approved in Europe in 2014. CMRA [Internet]. 2018 Jan [cited 2019 Jul 31];34(7).
37. NHS Health Research Authority. Make it Public (Internet). 2019.
38. World Health Organisation. International Standards for Clinical Trial Registries (Internet). 2012.
39. European Parliament and Council of the European Union. Regulation (EU) No 536/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 April 2014 on clinical trials on medicinal products for human use, and repealing Directive 2001/20/EC (Internet). 2014.
40. HM Government. International Research and Innovation Strategy (Internet). 2019.
41. UK EU Life Sciences Steering Committee. Maintaining and growing the UK’s world leading Life Sciences sector in the context of leaving the EU (Internet). 2016.